Friday, February 4, 2011

Former legislator Hengky arrives at KPK for questioning

Ina Parlina, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Fri, 02/04/2011 11:36 AM | National

Hengky at KPK: Alleged recipient of the Bank Indonesia (BI) traveler's check bribe, Hengky Baramuli, arrives at the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK).Hengky at KPK: Alleged recipient of the Bank Indonesia (BI) traveler's check bribe, Hengky Baramuli, arrives at the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK).A suspect in the alleged traveler's check bribery case, Hengky Beramuli, arrived at the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) for questioning on Friday, after having missed a similar questioning session scheduled for last week.

“Yes, I have suffered from heart problem. But, I do respect the law, so I’m here for the questioning,” Hengky told reporters before the questioning.

“I never tried to flee or hide from KPK,” he said.

Hengky was a legislator from the Golkar Party from 2004-2009. He and 24 other legislators allegedly accepted bribes given to them in the form of traveler's checks worth a total of Rp 24 billion (US$2.66 million).

The bribes were allegedly paid in exchange for the legislators’ support for Miranda S. Goeltom, a candidate in the election of the Bank Indonesia senior deputy governor, in 2004.

He added that he was at his house all the time. “I am confused why the KPK had failed to locate me at my house because I was there taking a rest from my ailment,” he said.

KPK is likely to detain Hengky right after the questioning, just like it did with the other 23 suspects.

No comments:

Post a Comment